Monday, June 29, 2009

Good Quote

This past Lord's Day we looked at John 10:1-21, Jesus is the Good/Model Shepherd. That is something we've probably heard before... though the joy of it never gets old. What may have been surprising - it was for me at least - was the contrast made between Jesus (Good Shepherd) and Pharisees (bad shepherds). We usually quote John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal, kill, and destroy" in reference to Satan. But in context, it's actually in reference to bad religious leaders!

Lord, am I a thief among your sheep? As I was examining my own heart as a pastor, I read this by David Wells:

"Far too many leaders and churches are out for the quick kill, the instant success, the enviable numbers, the bulging auditoria, the numbers to be boasted about -- 'my church went from ten to ten thousand once I arrived!' -- the filled parking lots, the success story all dolled up for the pages of Christianity Today or Leadership. All of this is about the short-term interest of the pastor, not the long-term health of the church."

Sheep, beware the many thieves posing as shepherds! And shepherds, be careful with the flock of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment